Montego Bay, Jamaica has been ranked as one of the top destinations for American travelers for the summer of 2022. More than 1,175,000 flight itineraries were analyzed to rank which destinations were most popular with American travelers for upcoming 2022 summer travel. Montego Bay was ranked number 4 after Cancun, San José del Cabo, and Aruba. Allianz found that travel will be up 16% over last year, likely stemming from the relaxation of restrictions related to the pandemic.
So why are Americans flocking to Montego Bay?
Montego Bay is one of the premier tourist destinations globally, with its beautiful clear blue waters, sunny skies, and sandy beaches. As the country’s third most populated city, Montego Bay has something to offer everyone, whether you are looking for a quiet getaway or an exciting adventure. From relaxing on the beach to exploring local attractions and dining at renowned restaurants, this vibrant city is truly a paradise unlike any other.
When most people picture vacation, they think of relaxing on a lovely beach with a cool drink and forgetting about daily life’s worries. Perhaps that is why so many choose to go to Montego Bay, with over a dozen beaches to choose from! Three of the most popular include:
- Doctor’s Cave Beach – One of Jamaica’s most famous beaches is near Montego Bay’s Hip-Strip. This beach is nearly 5 miles long and near some of the best restaurants and hotels in the area. There is an admission fee for this beach, and it is open daily from 8:30 AM until sunset.
- Sandals Montego Bay Beach – For those who prefer more privacy while at the beach. If staying with Sandals resort, guests can enjoy this exclusive beach that offers calm waters with reefs to snorkel near the shore.
- Cornwall Beach – A top-rated beach that is owned by a hotel chain, requiring a day pass. Early arrival is recommended as chairs and beach huts are claimed quickly. Snorkelers will find coral and marine life waiting for them just offshore.
What to do in Montego Bay
Aside from enjoying the extensive offering of beaches Montego Bay has to offer; there are many other activities in the area to take part in. Lovers of nature will be pleased to know that Montego Bay has much to offer. Visitors can take a raft cruise down the scenic Martha Brae River, explore the wild and rugged Cockpit Country, or visit the crocodiles at the Jamaica Swamp Safari Village.
History lovers will also be keen on a visit to Montego Bay. Nearby Falmouth is worth a visit, and hasn’t changed much since the 1840s. There are old plantation houses that offer tours, such as the Bellefield Great House, which provides a jerk chicken buffet and rum punch after the tour.
If looking for adventure, Montego bay is the perfect destination for those who love being outdoors and staying active. There are plenty of options for horse riding, golfing, zip-lining, and more. Or, rent a Harley Davidson and explore the island at your own pace.
Where to stay in Montego Bay
Jamaica’s north coast and the area surrounding Doctor’s Cave Beach are home to many of the best all-inclusive resorts in Montego Bay. Some of the most popular resorts and some highlighting features include:
- Round Hill Hotel and Villas – Includes two restaurants directed by James Beard Award-winning chef Martin Maginley.
- Secrets St. James Montego Bay – Themed parties, meals, drinks, as well as land and water activities are all included in the all-inclusive rate.
- Secretes Wild Orchid Montego Bay – Adults-only resort with an unlimited-luxury package that includes unlimited beverages, meals, and wait service while visiting the pool and beach.
- Sandals Montego Bay – Offers a “Stay at One, Play at Three” package, which allows visitors to access all the amenities at nearby Sandals resorts.
The numbers don’t lie. Americans are planning to travel to Montego Bay this summer to enjoy the beautiful beaches, all-inclusive resorts, and wide-ranging activities that this popular Jamaican city offers. It’s easier than ever to get to this Caribbean gem with direct flights out of many U.S. cities like New York, Houston, D.C., and Los Angeles. Travelers can rest assured that a visit to Montego Bay is a worthwhile experience.
Plan Your Next Jamaica Vacation:
Choose From Thousands of Jamaica Hotels, Resorts and Hostels with Free Cancellation On Most Properties
Book Travel Insurance That Covers Covid-19
Book Affordable Direct Flights To Jamaica
↓ Join the community ↓
The Jamaica Sun Community FB group has all the latest travel news, conversations and tourism Q&A’s for the Mexican Caribbean
Subscribe to our Latest Posts
Enter your email address to subscribe to The Jamaica Sun’s latest breaking news affecting travelers, straight to your inbox.